Former Arsenal and Chelsea striker Olivier Giroud is just five goals away from surpassing Thierry Henry’s all-time record for France after scoring in the win over the Ivory Coast.
Giroud, 35, headed in from AC Milan team-mate Theo Hernandez’s cross to take his tally to 47 for the world champions in Marseille.
Henry netted 51 times for Les Bleus.
Gunners forward Nicolas Pepe scored the opener for the African side, but Aurelien Tchouameni won it late on.
Monaco midfielder Tchouameni rose highest to power home a header from Matteo Guendouzi’s corner in the 93rd minute.
Giroud’s goal, meanwhile, was also the 19th consecutive game in which France had scored, netting 42 times in the process.
Didier Deschamps’ men host South Africa in a friendly on Tuesday, while Ivory Coast, who have failed to qualify for the 2022 World Cup, travel to play England at Wembley on the same day.
- 4VaraneSubstituted forSalibaat 58′minutes
- 11ComanSubstituted forClaussat 88′minutes
- 6PogbaSubstituted forRabiotat 88′minutes
- 7GriezmannSubstituted forGuendouziat 75′minutes
- 12NkunkuSubstituted forBen Yedderat 75′minutes
- 19Ben Yedder
- 21BaillySubstituted forKossounouat 68′minutes
- 18SangaréSubstituted forAkouokouat 76′minutes
- 4SeriBooked at 7mins
- 19PépéSubstituted forCornetat 84′minutes
- 22HallerSubstituted forKonatéat 84′minutesBooked at 90mins
- 9ZahaSubstituted forGradelat 84′minutes
- Vitor Jorge Fernandes Ferreira
Match ends, France 2, Côte d’Ivoire 1.
Second Half ends, France 2, Côte d’Ivoire 1.
Goal! France 2, Côte d’Ivoire 1. Aurélien Tchouaméni (France) header from the centre of the box to the bottom right corner. Assisted by Mattéo Guendouzi with a cross following a corner.
Corner, France. Conceded by Willy Boly.
Ghislain Konan (Côte d’Ivoire) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Foul by Jonathan Clauss (France).
Karim Konaté (Côte d’Ivoire) is shown the yellow card for a bad foul.
Foul by Karim Konaté (Côte d’Ivoire).
Jules Koundé (France) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Substitution, France. Adrien Rabiot replaces Paul Pogba.
Substitution, France. Jonathan Clauss replaces Kingsley Coman.
Offside, France. Mattéo Guendouzi tries a through ball, but Olivier Giroud is caught offside.
Attempt saved. Olivier Giroud (France) header from the centre of the box is saved in the bottom left corner. Assisted by Kingsley Coman with a cross.
Foul by Willy Boly (Côte d’Ivoire).
Hugo Lloris (France) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
Maxwel Cornet (Côte d’Ivoire) wins a free kick on the right wing.
Foul by Theo Hernández (France).
Substitution, Côte d’Ivoire. Maxwel Cornet replaces Nicolas Pépé.
Substitution, Côte d’Ivoire. Karim Konaté replaces Sébastien Haller.
Substitution, Côte d’Ivoire. Max-Alain Gradel replaces Wilfried Zaha.
- Who were the real Peaky Blinders? Explore the origins of this mass gang movement
- The rise of the American far right: Louis Theroux meets the movement’s key figures